Friday, July 13, 2012

It only takes a moment

While traveling home one day from Chicago,
I witnessed a heart warming sight.
I wish I had taken a picture.
Here is my version of what happened in another's voice.



I feel like such an idiot.
I finally saved enough money for some transportation,
bagging groceries all year and even taking double shifts
so my mom wouldn't have to drive me everywhere.
It's so embarrassing to be dropped off and picked up by my mom
in her gold granny van.
I hate that van!
So I made enough money to buy a cycle,
but just enough to buy this beginner bike.
Actually it's one step above a moped.
.
My mom bought me all this "gear"
and said I couldn't ride if I didn't wear it all.
I have boots, which are not cool at all,
heavy blue jeans that are way too warm to be wearing
on this hot summer day,
a helmet that is so padded that a semi truck would not crack it,
and with the visor, I feel like a bird in a circus!
I have on a new leather jacket, again way too hot for this day
and it's so stiff and...new!

Mom made me take lessons from her brother on how to ride.
I have been practicing for weeks now, in the church parking lot.
I have passed my motorcycle driving test and have my permit.
What more does she want from me?!

So, this is the first time I am out on the real roads.
I must admit that I am a little nervous.
I'm glad my friend Mike, was working today,
and couldn't come with me.

I'm starting to feel a little bit more comfortable with riding.
Trying to remember all the rules and watch for other drivers.

I'm so alone out here though.
That gravel on the last turn, really had me scared.
I'm still shaking,
and my heart is thumping in my chest as if it will jump out at any moment!
At least this is the longest stoplight in town, and I can catch my breath.
No one else is on the road.

I hear some faint roaring.
Beside me slows the most beautiful Harley Davidson I have ever seen.
Black and shiny silver chrome.
The guy riding it could be right out of Sons of Anarchy.
Bald, dark wrap around sunglasses, tatoos everywhere,
leather vest, and I can't see the name on the back.
I'm sure it says hells angels or something like that.
He's not wearing a helmet, but he has the best boots I have ever seen!
They must have cost $400!

He looked over at me.
I nodded at him, and he nodded back!
He is looking ahead again.
What should I do?
Cyclists have a code don't they?
When meeting up with other riders?
But you really can't call my puny little bike a chopper.

I'll rev the gas and see what he does.
Nothing.
No reaction at all.
Rev it again.
He looks over and I rev my gas again.
I nod at him.
Then he revs his gas!
Oh my gosh!  It sounds like the world is coming to a thundering end!
This is so cool!
He gives me a thumbs up!
I do the same back to him!
He smiles at me....I think.
It's hard to tell if maybe he was just irritated and scowled instead.
No, he revved his gas again as the light is changing and nods to me again!
I'm nodding back!
The light changes and he slowly rolls forward.

I almost forgot that I was in the turning lane.
I turn and follow the road, not even thinking where I am going.
Maybe this isn't such a bad bike after all.
Under this helmet and jacket, maybe I don't look seventeen.
Think I'll ride around for a while more.
What a great day!






No comments:

Post a Comment